Robert Matthews, M.D.
The desire to make a difference in the lives of people and in the world led me to become a physician. I enjoy helping patients work through not only their medical problems, but also helping them navigate the healthcare system, dealing with their psycho-social issues, and even on occasion the spiritual aspects of what they are experiencing. I tend to focus on the complex issues of elderly people but enjoy seeing patients of all ages.
My wife and I spent 11 years working in the mission field in Africa where I obtained a license from the Medical Council of Tanganyika and practiced for four years in outpatient clinics on the islands of southwestern Tanzania, Lake Victoria in Africa. From 2012 to October 31, 2019, I was volunteering with the Red Cross and other charitable organizations in an Arab country in North Africa.
When we decided to return to the United States, I did a search for a practice via the placement service of the Christian Medical Dental Association and was informed of an opportunity in Benson. We flew in from Africa in April 2019 and actually saw the area firsthand, visited the facility, toured the community, and really liked what we saw.
I am a pianist and was a church organist for many years. I like gardening and growing peaches. I also enjoy traveling and learning languages. I have learned Arabic over the past few years as well as quite a bit of French.
My wife also enjoys playing the piano, reading, and traveling. Our three children are all married and each have a child.
- Family Medicine
- Older Adults/Geriatrics
Training + Education
- Undergraduate Degree– University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Arts in Microbiology
- Graduate Work – University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette for graduate studies in premed
- Master’s Degree – University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Masters in Tumor Virology
- Medical School– University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Internship and Residency– John Peter Smith Hospital, Family Medicine, Ft. Worth, Texas
American Board of Family Medicine
English, Arabic, French
3333 NC Hwy 242 N.
Benson, NC 27504
- Board Certified with American Board of Family Medicine
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool